Sunday, April 7, 2024

Welcome Words, Wicked Words, Wasted Words

 

Welcome Words, Wicked Words, Wasted Words

This month’s 300-words entry is late: Sue and I were in Pennsylvania helping take care of our twin grandchildren, Sophie and Hazel, until earlier this week. It was a delight to hear first-hand their steadily increasing vocabularies.

Words were much on my mind during that visit, both because of the girls and the two books I’d taken along to read.

One was specifically about words and the comedian who became legendary for using bad ones: George Carlin. The book, Carlin’s autobiography, Last Words, described growing up in New York and how he became a nationally renowned comedian. The book’s downside was the gratuitous foul language and the depressing accounts of his drug and alcohol abuse. Still, the examples of his comic routines highlighted his remarkable facility with words.

The second book was a novel selected for a mindless read. (I’ll mention neither the author nor the title to protect the guilty.) It purported to be a crime thriller. But the real crime was that the book was an appalling waste of words. The protagonist lacked any credibility: a former homicide detective who had palatial homes on the East and West coasts. He was also a lawyer and a pilot who flew his private jet to his English estate. The dialogue was painfully predictable and the story ended with one significant plotline unresolved. In brief, this was one of the worst written books I’ve ever read. I kept hoping that it would get better; it didn’t.

Two lessons. First. I was reminded that writers should never send readers away disappointed. Give them something: amusement, hope, entertainment, information, inspiration, whatever. Second, I should have remembered John Ruskin’s words: “Life being very short, and the quiet hours of it few, we ought to waste none of them in reading valueless books.” Too late.

[300 words]

2 comments:

  1. Well do I know the self-reprimand after wasting my time on a book that held no value for me. I want a book to leave me with the pleasure of satisfaction or to tempt me out of my responsibilities because I struggle to put it down, or to make me really think about an issue or stimulate me to go to Google to research more on the topic .... I feel really cheated when I get to the end of a book and wish I hadn't wasted my time on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, Gordon! Late in my life I have at last had the will to abandon books unworthy of my time or effort. I had previously believed that all/almost all books should be read to the final paragraphs. Now I have more time to find and read books worthy of my interest. I'm by no means a purist but I believe an author must respect the reader by contributing fine ideas, sparkling humour, an intelligent plot, engaging characters - preferably a combination of those!.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, my mistake

  Sorry, My Mistake Before it slips even farther into the past, let’s revisit the experience of Tom Craig at the Paris Olympics. He was a ...