Friday, June 7, 2024

More Easier

 

More Easier

            This morning I corrected a young woman who said something was “more easier.” Not so, I said; it was either “easier” or “more easy.” Used as an adjective, I told her, one could say a task was “easy/easier/easiest.” (“Easy” can also be an adverb, a noun or even a verb, according to Wiktionary…)

            I don’t normally correct people’s speech, tempted though I am. (I once corrected the grammar on a consent form before having a root canal.) This woman, however, welcomed the correction and explanation. She was a native Russian speaker, a refugee who has been in Spokane for a year and she and I were at the Barton School, a language program at First Presbyterian Church in Spokane.

I’ve been volunteering there for about eight months, interacting with students from around the world. Some are beginners; others, like my student, already have credible spoken English. Many are refugees; others are in the US for family reasons. What they have in common, though, is a commitment to improving their English fluency. The courage, patience and perseverance of these students is humbling. I cannot imagine waking up one morning in a country whose language was totally alien to me. My mind often goes back to the summer of 1992, when thanks to a Whitworth University grant I spent six weeks in Guatemala learning Spanish. I still recall the frustrations I had learning the grammar, especially a mysterious thing called the subjunctive, and not pronouncing words correctly. Fortunately, my well-being didn’t depend on speaking Spanish. The Barton students, though, have no choice but to try and master our devilishly difficult, illogical, inconsistent language. (Just think how we pronounce ough in cough, tough, through, thorough, dough, thought and drought.)

Yes, English is a difficult language. If only it were more easier.

[300 words]

 

2 comments:

  1. I share your inclination to correct grammar or spelling, Gordon! Perhaps one of your future columns might draw attention to the number of expensive ads, posters and brochures that are published with glaring errors on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was only a South African problem! We must have imported it from the USA. It makes me feel better (or is it more better?) about our standard of English.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, my mistake

  Sorry, My Mistake Before it slips even farther into the past, let’s revisit the experience of Tom Craig at the Paris Olympics. He was a ...