Monday, August 29, 2022

Bless

 

When our children were young we’d tuck them in at bedtime, read them a Bible story, and say a prayer we had improvised for them: “God bless Sarah, and keep her safe and well and happy.” And “God bless Matthew and keep him safe and well and happy.”

At the time, I now realize, I gave little thought to what lay behind our simple “God bless” prayers. . . .

That’s from the introduction to my new book, The God Who Blesses, fifty reflections intended to answer the broader question, “What exactly do we mean by bless?” One could say that every non-fiction book project arises from a question the writer wants answered. Until now, though, I‘ve never had a single word inspire any of my books. But bless, along with its cognates of blessing and blessedness, became a thought-trigger that prompted me to explore a concept that is paradoxically familiar yet also little understood. Surprisingly little is written about bless and blessing; I found only scholarly material on the topic and as a result I wanted to write something accessible to non-theologians like myself.

Bless has a wide range of meanings. It’s most often used in the sense of wishing people well, as for example with the blessing of dismissal at the end of a church service. The word also serves as a “thank you.” Elsewhere, we read in the Psalms, “Bless the Lord, O my soul,” revealing that the word can also mean “praise.” And we’re all familiar with the casual uses of the word, as in saying “Bless my heart!” or “Bless you” after someone sneezes.

Sound interesting? If so, let me invite you to look at The God Who Blesses, which probes the ins and outs of a single word that I found worthy of exploration.

[300 words]

PS: As those of you getting reminders about new blog postings already know, the publisher has as a promotion made the book available as a free Kindle download from Amazon, until August 31. Here’s the link” https://www.amazon.com/d/B0BBRNC642/

And you’d be doing me a great favor if you’d forward this link to friends and family whom you think might enjoy The God Who Blesses.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, my mistake

  Sorry, My Mistake Before it slips even farther into the past, let’s revisit the experience of Tom Craig at the Paris Olympics. He was a ...