Tuesday, December 20, 2022

The Economist

The Economist

Given the cost I am not an ongoing subscriber to The Economist, a superb magazine that covers world events. I sign up on alternate years and benefit from a mini-liberal arts education each week.

The magazine also publishes a year-end guide, in which its well-informed editors predict what the next year will look like. This guide, plus a recent weekly issue, touched on two word-related topics that I thought worth sharing.

One was a piece on national anthems and their often blood-curdling calls to patriotism. As the writer notes, “an improbably large number drip with blood. This variously streams generously (Algeria); spills purely (Belgium); dyes the flag red (Vietnam); or waters the furrows impurely (France).” The first verse of France’s stirring Marseillaise “contains the charming and apparently bucolic line: ‘Do you hear in the countryside…’ it begins.” The writer asks, “What can the sound be? Cows lowing? The wind in the vine leaves? No: it is ‘the roar of those ferocious soldiers. They’re coming … to slit the throats of your women and children.’” (Did the French soccer team’s coach remind them to sing the bit about ferocious soldiers before their dramatic World Cup final with Argentina?)

The second article addressed a familiar theme: inflated job titles. Instead of meeting a receptionist as you enter an office, you may encounter “someone far grander: a lobby ambassador.” The article said one job ad for this role specified the person is expected to “curate experiences” for visitors. So, you as a visitor “might think you are asking someone where the toilet is; in fact you are having an experience with a brand ambassador.”

As I finalize my 2023 New Year’s resolution, I realize the need to elevate my rebranding efforts as I curate my readers’ experiences.

And just call me Mr. Ambassador

[300 words] 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, my mistake

  Sorry, My Mistake Before it slips even farther into the past, let’s revisit the experience of Tom Craig at the Paris Olympics. He was a ...